An open-source web application framework for the server-side, ASP.NET from Microsoft needs no introduction. Built on the Common Language Runtime (CLR), ASP.NET allows developers to create various software components like dynamic web sites, web applications, and web services.
Starting from the very first release in the early part of this decade the .NET Application Development today boasts of the latest entrant with ASP.NET 5. Released in July 2015, this robust programming language from Microsoft is feature-rich with contemporary features to support the current day needs of Development and Deployment of Software.
ASP.NET 5 Runtime Environments
ASP.NET 5 is a single framework that runs on top of either .NET Core 5 runtime (Core-CLR) or the .NET Framework runtime (CLR). The runtime of choice can be selected from the Visual Studio 2015 Preview.
.NET Core 5
This is a new cross-platform runtime from ASP.NET which is modular and requires very little memory.
- Flexible and easier app deployment and framework updates
- In .NET Core Development runtime is deployed with the App itself
- The app is executed with the deployed version of the runtime and not the installed version
- Multiple versions of the runtime execute simultaneously for multiple versions of other applications
- The deployed runtime can be changed whenever required for a particular app, without affecting the environment for the other apps
- Download only relevant Updates
- .NET Core makes sure that only the updates related to the features installed are prompted for download
- Every update requires testing and this time is saved by this feature
- Deployment efforts reduce notably
- Cross-Platform support is provided by .NET Core for Windows, Linux, and Mac
- .NET Core Offers end to end stack optimized for server and cloud workloads
- The .NET Core is delivered as a set of NuGet packages making the delivery agile
- NuGet is mainstream in .NET Core
- NET Core 5 is open source and is available on GitHub
.NET Framework 4.6
- The full .NET framework itself is more robust and capable as compared to the .NET Core
- It gives access to the complete set of the .NET Framework APIs
- Existing applications and libraries work without any modifications
- .NET Framework 4.6 has the best compatibility with the existing .NET libraries
Features Of ASP.NET 5
- Platform independent and caters to Linux and Mac besides Windows
- Flexible Crossplatform runtime features allow Build & Run across
- With Cloud readiness features, the following work on the Cloud
- A new modular HTTP request pipeline to be the host on the chosen server
- Applications can be hosted on IIS as well
- New tooling offers a simplified modern Web development
- Single aligned web stack for Web UI and Web APIs
- Integrated support for creating and using NuGet packages
- Dependency injection is built-in for ASP.NET 5
Benefits Of ASP.NET 5
ASP.NET 5 offers basic common benefits no matter what framework or CLR is chosen for execution.
- A unified ASP.NET 5 single framework is made available
- Web API
- Seamless integration and simplified configuration for clouds and servers
- Microsoft Azure
- Windows Server through simplified configuration
- It offers a conducive ecosystem of composable NuGet packages
- The advantage of having an End to end decoupled stack (ASP.NET and .NET) based on dependency is offered
ASP.NET 5 Schedule And Roadmap
The roadmap as declared by Microsoft for ASP.NET 5 promises that by early next year we would have seen various milestones being achieved and give us the first release of ASP.NET 5.
- Beta 6
- 27 Jul 2015
- Localization, Servicing, .NET 4.6 support, and more
- Beta 7
- 2 Sep 2015
- 15 Oct 2015
- Feature Complete
- Nov 2015
- Q1* 2016
On a Parting Note
Microsoft Technologies are a comprehensive suite of software, fostering rapid application development with a perfect blend of business solutions. The Microsoft .NET platform; for both Web and Desktop Application development; Windows Mobile and Windows Phone; for Mobile Application Development and the very competent Business Intelligence Applications assure faster Return on Investment (ROI) and growth of businesses.
SPEC INDIA recognizes the usage of this ever-growing platform. The contemporary Cross-Platform Applications, powered by HTML 5, ASP.Net Development MVC and Responsive Design tools ensure that Microsoft Technologies are always on the top of the chart for developers and enterprises alike.