IndexedDb or Indexed Database API is a web browser standard interface for a local database of records holding simple values and hierarchical objects. This API for client-side storage of significant amounts of structured data and high performance, searches uses indexes. Storage and retrieval is done through keys or indexes through a series of transactions.
Most of the commonly used browser like IE 10.0+, Firefox Mozilla 28.0+, chrome 33.0+, Safari 8.0+, Opera 22.0+ support indexedDB.
- Full functionality even if a network connection is not available
- No data loss on network interruption
- Can cache data and restore state between invocations
- Generates less network traffic
- Performs better as data management happens on the local computer rather than over the Internet
- Supports transaction and cursor
- Allows faster indexing and searching of objects, enabling better data management
- Supports both synchronous and asynchronous API
- Impractical for very large and complex APIs
- Has unstructured data
Comparison with Alternatives Available
IndexedDB is Object-oriented. It is not Relational Database.
- IndexedDB stores key-value pairs. The value is an object that can have one or more properties. The key can be based on a key generator or derived by a key path that defines the path to the key value.
- The IndexedDB API is mostly asynchronous. The API doesn’t return any value; instead a callback function is required to get the returning data.
- IndexedDB does not use Structured Query Language (SQL). It uses queries on an index that produces a cursor, which is used to iterate across the result set.
- IndexedDB prevents applications from accessing data with a different origin. Retrieval is possible only for data from the same origin.
SPEC INDIA is a boutique ISO 9001:2008 certified software solutions company with 27+ years of consistent and sustained growth implementing critical business systems at Multi-location. We provide Database, Big Data and Data Warehousing Solutions for Fortune 100 corporations. Our Projects adhere to Quality Assurance practices in line with ISO 9001:2008.