“The most important single aspect of software development is to be clear about what you are trying to build.”– Zjarne Stroustrup
Comparisons are always worth a read be it technologies, industries, mobile devices, entertainment media or anything under the Sun. Each has its own characteristic that shines and some that prove to be unimpressive. In the fast-paced era of digital transformation, what matters most for all is time. Enterprises want results faster and more effective. Custom software development solutions have already carved a niche for themselves around the globe, proving their finesse in almost all industry segments.
But, technology has never ceased to amaze. Since almost the last decade, there has been a spread of low code software development that has been getting popular, but does it really deliver what it is supposed to? Research has proven that the demand for low code development is sure to increase in the coming years but what is interesting is to see how it competes against our traditional custom software development and what the future holds in store for each one of them.
Custom software solutions are known to all for offering the best of client experience, they don’t need any introduction. It does not need to prove its supremacy around the globe. But, low code software development is relatively a new term. Let us see what it means:
Low Code Software Development – A Relatively New but Troublemaking Way to Software Development
“All that glitters is not gold” – so rightly said. Though low code solutions may look attractive, does it really offer what it promises? Before we compare this with custom software, let us understand the primaries of low code software. Also known as no-code or rapid application development (RAD), this mode of software development has been popular because of certain characteristics:
- Drag n drop functionalities
- Model-driven development
- Wizard-based workflows
- Speeded app development and deployment
- Quick resource access since doesn’t require detailed technical expertise
- Easy for non-technical people to initiate business changes
- Faster time-to-market
Does low code software development live up to the expectations of the industry? Is it able to fulfill the promises that it makes by offering the above features? How do custom software development companies compete with this new way of software development? It is surely interesting to watch a comparative view between the two, with important parameters as the comparison criteria.
“Software is a great combination between artistry and engineering.” – Bill Gates
Custom Software Development v/s Low Code Software Development – A Precise Comparison
Custom Software Solutions
Low Code Software Solutions
Support & Maintenance
Legacy Integration & Migration
Security and Consistency
Customization and Flexibility
“The task of the software development team is to engineer the illusion of simplicity.” – Grady Booch
Custom Software Solutions and Low Code Software Solutions – When to Use What?
You can choose custom software solutions when:
- There is a huge convert of business workflows into so the software application and there are multiple entities involved – multiple segments, geographies, departments, functionalities
- There is a lot of customization needed while designing business workflows and it is difficult to adapt to solutions that are built prior to understanding what is needed
- The number of employees is huge and there is a huge infrastructure to be catered to
- Emphasis is more on security, reliability and flexibility of the business information that is involved
- There is an increased need for third party integration and legacy migration – a lot of external applications that are must to be integrated for a complete functionality flow
- The focus of management is bent upon aligning business objectives with the software solution
You can opt for low code software solutions when:
- There are limited IT resources and it is difficult to find dedicated resources who can contribute
- Companies are looking for minor modifications in business processes that do not involve much data transfer, integration or business complexity
- There is a limited infrastructure and a smaller number of employees to cater to
- The budget is very limited and it is a tough task to customize each requirement as per exact needs
On a Parting Note
“To each its own”. After all, it is up to enterprises to choose from the two – whether to go in for customized software solutions or low code software. Based on a variety of parameters as mentioned above, you can choose the better of the two, as applicable to the business requirements. Custom software development has been a proven methodology for software applications and needs no proof to ascertain its supremacy across the globe. Low code software has its own set of shine but at the same time, has its challenges to overcome. Take a call, it isn’t that tough!