Well, this post does not solve your confusion for selecting best among three but you will be getting an overview of each framework. You should consider how each of these frameworks can help you build future-ready apps by analyzing their features and drawbacks.
React Native vs. NativeScript vs. Ionic: What To Gain From Each?
React Native: Top-Trending Cross-Platform Development Framework
Virtual DOM, one of the key features behind its popularity refers to the only rendering sub-components which are changed instead of rendering the entire page on each change. This overall improves performance and enables developers to create apps leveraging a single codebase with React Native development.
Here Are The Benefits Of React Native:
- A strong community of developers
- Native performance across all the platforms
- Rich mobile UI declarative components
- Use of Native SDKs
- Single codebase to develop apps for the majority of the platforms
What Are The Drawbacks Of React Native?
- Occupies more memory compared to the native apps
- iOS components are more reliable than Android
- Need to write platform-specific code
Who is Using React Native?
This is a most-talked framework over the recent years.
It is developed by Progress and community and gained enormous popularity after the few days of public release. The key feature of the NativeScript framework is direct interaction with native APIs.
For example, if you are calling NativeScript Button API, it directly calls the UIButton on iOS or com. android. widget. The button on Android.
Why Is NativeScript Popular?
- 100% Native API access for the finest user experience
- One single code base for multiple platforms
- Angular and Vue Interaction for building cross-platform apps
- Reusability of components
The Disadvantages of NativeScript
- Application size is bigger than native and hybrid apps
- Development of UI requires great skills as there’s no HTML
Who is Using NativeScript?
- Work Box
- Zege Technologies
- Daily Nanny
Now, we are moving towards the Ionic framework which is built with an aim to simplify hybrid app development.
If you are building apps with the Ionic framework, you need to use Apache Cordova plugins to access native functionality. The best thing about Ionic is it lets you build apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and web using a single code base.
Ionic focuses on performance and aims to deliver user experience according to the modern web standards. Ionic 3 is built on Angular which enables developers to create custom components. It offers fast development lifecycle and time-to-market that together makes it one of the widely used mobile app development frameworks at present.
The Pros of the Ionic Framework:
- Great community support
- The single code base for multiple platforms
- A wide range of plugins are available
- Rapid and efficient prototyping of an app
- Angular components can be used
The Cons of Ionic:
- Not suitable for high performance and UI-driven apps
- Uses plugins to wrap app in the native container
- Performance issues
- Lack of native components
According to Wikipedia, In 2015, Ionic developers created over 1.3M apps with the SDK.
Who is Using Ionic?
Major Differences Between Ionic, React Native, and NativeScript: How To Choose Best One?
Apparently, you can’t decide which is best as every framework has different approaches to the development producing different results. Each one has its own strengths, weaknesses, and methodologies. Choosing best depends on your needs and factors like time-to-market, budget, and audiences.
Here, we are highlighting the major differences among these 3 frameworks so you choose wisely.
Platform: Hybrid or Cross-Platform?
Hybrid apps are easier to maintain and faster to build. It allows developers to use a single code base for multiple platforms. Ionic is embraced by many and it has a wide community dedicated to making Ionic one of the topnotch frameworks out there.
Cross-platform apps are performance-oriented though, one can’t overlook the performance of native app development. That’s pretty clear. Native apps are platform-specific and written in the platform-specific language.
Community Support And Expansion:
These three frameworks are built with different purposes. Each has a great community support with an aim of future enhancement. React Native is backed by Facebook, Ionic is developed by Drifty.co, and NativeScript is created by Progress – every organization possesses great skills and expertise to take the development environment to the next level.
Performance And Ease Of Development:
Ionic app development is rapid, simpler, and efficient compared to the other two. However, the other two frameworks are given priority when it comes to native-like performance. Developers have said that the Android components in React Native are less reliable than iOS components.
NativeScript development is the most favorable choice for cross-platform apps as it gives the 100% native API access in order to generate a smoother, flawless, and amazing user experience.
Ionic is not ideal for developing graphics-intensive apps because every time you need to wrap application in a native container that can decrease your app’s performance.
Choose Ionic When:
- Angular is your favorite language
- When you want to build one single code for the majority of the platforms
- When time-to-market of your app is considered
- Build highly interactive apps with great UI
React Native is suitable, when:
- You want native performance using native interfaces
- High-performance native apps for Android and iOS
- Hardware functionalities can be accessed via the specific platform, not any third-party plugins
NativeScript is your ideal framework in scenarios like:
- When you choose a cross-platform approach for your needs
- Truly native experience with complete native API access
- When you want to leverage Angular for web components
React Native vs. NativeScript vs. Ionic: A Quick Comparison
|Platform||Cross-platform app development||Cross-platform app development||Hybrid app development|
|Developed By||Facebook Community||Progress and Community||Drifty.co|
|Performance||Good as it uses native UI components||Excellent; gives 100% native API access||Performance issues in high-performance and graphic-intensive apps|
|Ideal for||Cross-platform apps with native interfaces||Truly native apps||Hybrid app development using the single code base|
What Will You Select?
In order to choose the best one, you need to analyze every small factor including cost, time, targeted platforms, and nature of an application. However, you can always go for expert advice from top React Native development company that holds vast experience in developing various apps using modern technologies. SPEC INDIA is one of the leading React Native development companies offering customer-centric, reliable, and faster app development services. We also offer a wide range of services across many industry verticals by combining years of experience, right skill sets, and the right approach.
How did you find this whole comparison? If you feel something important is missing, you can tell us via comments below!