About the Customer
Industry: News Agency
Client is based in Ireland and is a leading quality newspaper – delivers news, opinion and analysis to around 793,000 readers each week. With media technologies evolving, different means of storytelling and delivery have come up. The company continues the transition from print to multiplatform publication, while upholding the journalistic principles that earned it the reputation as the paper of reference. Company began its online editions last year to reach its global readers.
The rapidly growing news agency was facing a challenge of analyzing large amount of historical data from various data sources and then generating meaningful analytics out of that.
- Amazon Redshift Cloud DB
- Weblogs: Capture user behavior and browsing patterns on the web.
- Google Analytics: Capture online traffics information.
- Business Application: Capture the master and transactions information.
- 3rd party data sources: Capture the information about media views and user stats.
Some of the key challenges were:
- Consolidate the data from various semi-structured and structured database and populate into a data warehouse.
- Mapping of data from various data sources.
- Generating behavior analytics, authors’ performance, subscribers, segment, marketing analytics.
- Define the Subscriber Churn Model to minimize the customer attrition.
SPEC INDIA implemented a Cloud based BI Analytics Solution using Pentaho community stack, below are the solution features:
- Analyze data sources and derive the KPIs and KRAs jointly with client to meet the business requirements.
- Consolidate various data sources like Amazon Redshift Cloud DB, Weblogs (Semi-structured data), Polopoly (Oracle 11g), Google Analytics (Google APIs), Video Brightcove (Rest APIs).
- Deployed various complex ETL jobs and transformation to integrate historical data and live data to generate near real time analytics.
- Interface development to monitor the ETL jobs status as well as perform data cleansing.
- Customize the Pentaho open source code to achieve specific business requirements.
- Page View/Reader Analysis
- To visualize the number of readers for each of the category like sports/newspaper/politics etc.
- Segment different type of readers i.e. occasional/frequent/Engaged readers
- Linear Regression for future page views
- Separate analysis for the Mobile readers and Website readers
- Customization to add the comments/descriptions for any of the data points.
- Content Analysis
- Visualize different types of author articles and viewers of the articles.
- Top 10 authors with option to check the granularity of article and headline.
- Analyze the history of the different articles published by authors and popularity of those articles.
- Hourly traffic analysis of the article viewers
- Top performing articles and sources which attracted viewers to go to the articles
- Subscriber Analysis
- Visualize the topline summary and percentage engagement by entitlement
- Subscriber content preferences and breakdown for subscription type
- Subscriber trends analysis
- Analysis on added Versus Cancelled Versus Pending subscribers
- Effective campaign recommendation to retain the subscribers
Tools and Technologies
SPEC India’s successful implementation of Cloud based BI Analytics Solution helped news agency in meeting its subscription and digital marketing goals.
- Centralized authors, subscriber, articles and viewers for generating analytics.
- Minimize the subscriber churning using the effective data analytics.
- Get meaningful insights from historical and real time data.
- Effectively design the new digital media marketing campaign strategy.
- Identify performing and non-performing authors, articles and content.
- Saiku Analytics and Self-service Dashboard Plug-in helped end users to generate the adhoc analytics and own dashboards.