About the Customer
Industry: Industry Specific
Automation is usually brought into play when it comes to application testing.
We, at our organization, are using automation over and above application testing.
We are using Test Case Management Tool – Test link for managing test case design and its execution. This tool is basically managed by internal QA team without any Infra team support. To prevent data loss, taking periodic backup of data is a must.
Test link owns some important and huge amount of data. Loss of such data can’t be afforded. Hence, periodic backup of data is must to prevent data loss. There are some challenges in adapting the manual process for taking backup:
- Manual efforts: As there is a huge amount of data (projects, test cases) stored, it is not feasible to take backup of data manually
- Storage of data: Storing all data locally will not be helpful if it is shared among different team members. Also, there are high chances of losing data if stored locally
- Time-consuming: It takes a lot of time to take backup of each and every project and its suites manually. It increases the efforts of resource which can be utilized in other productions
- If a manual process is adopted, there are chances that someone might forget to take a backup which increases chance of data loss
We have created one automation script using Selenium, TestNG & Maven framework. This script is data driven which takes backup according to project details provided. To store these data at one central repository, we have implemented this facility in script itself. To reduce manual efforts further, we have used continuous integration tool which can execute the script. The script is set to be executed on periodic basis using this continuous integration tool.
Tools & Technologies
We have lead automation to another level by managing backup and storage process.
- Data driven script: Each individual enters the respective project’s basic details in sheet and script takes backup accordingly
- Storage: Script stores backup taken at one central repository which is accessible by each team member
- Scheduling: Continuous integration tool is used for scheduling weekly backup. This tool run executes scripts at the defined time
- Guideline is created which explains how to enter details in sheet
Utilizing time is very important as You can accomplish more with less effort. With this peerless use of Automation, we can save each individual’s efforts and can prevent data loss by reducing human intervention.