About the Customer
Industry: Non-profit Organization
The client is a renowned analytical service provider for international development programs, under which they gather highly crucial data like ‘Number of direct jobs created for regions’, ‘Number of low carbon technology supported’, ‘Number of people that get clean energy’, ‘Bifurcation of male and female’, ‘Targeted vs. Actual year wise, region wise / city wise’ and much more.
The primary key challenge that the client faced was that apart from possessing good infographics, they did not have an interactive dashboard for interactivity and analytics. They were keen to deliver an interactive dashboard to their client for enhanced decision making, assuming the design would match with their infographic.
One more area of concern was that they had a dynamic hierarchy being followed, as per specific region.
Also, the client needed to develop a Cube, for adhoc analytics, which involved a lot of complex calculations and adding extra dimensions.
A star schema based data warehouse, based which they needed to build the dashboards.
SPEC INDIA developed a solution using the Pentaho stack – an open-source tool, since a quick customizing solution was the key requirement for the client. This comprehensive solution offered the following features:
- Provide a complementary design compared to their existing infographics.
- Offer an image based filter that synced with other types of manual filters and gave a very nice look and feel, meeting their basic requirement.
- Give tree type filters, where in user can view the tree hierarchy and accordingly, select filter of any level.
- Provide Saiku adhoc cube for analytics. The client had provided many result outputs that were to be generated through ad-hoc reporting, which we matched with the acceptance criteria.
- For a faster access of the dashboard and reports within no time, we cached the result into memory with Hazelcast in Pentaho.
- Program Analysis
- Region wise, tree type filtration.
- Advanced Filtration, with each database column of table (102 columns) smartly integrated as filtration.
- Drillable TreeMap chart, gives the volume analysis for each region, city, program and event.
- Interactive analysis of budget, provided in the lower panel of the BAR chart further drilling down to Year-Month-Quarter.
- Interactive Legend of the TreeMap chart, wherein excluding one level will exclude the all child nodes.
- Program Ranking
- This report is for the ranking of different programs with 2 modes – a mode is like male-female, actual-budgeted and actual-forecast.
- Cross Tabular information of region and event is provided in lower level, which interacts by the ranking of program with mode.
- End user can export the all details in CSV or excel, to share with other users.
- Interactive tree filtration.
Tools and Technologies
SPEC INDIA’s rollout for BI Analytics Solution assisted the company in decision making for certain crucial things. It benefitted them in the following ways:
- Unique design and matching with infographics, making the BI system an integral part of their application.
- Program ranking with different modes, providing an insight to the customer and creating an easy view of comparison for easy decision making.
- Advanced type of analysis like TreeMAP chart and others for better decision making.
- Program analysis dashboard giving a view of how the programs are distributed over multiple levels of the organization.
- Cube to help them with ad-hoc analysis making them very comfortable with the BI system, which was earlier done through query only.
- Bootstrap based dashboard provides the flexibility of the dashboard responsiveness to any device.