About the Customer
The client is one of the UK’s largest and premier dry-cleaning and laundry service providers, with multiple branches all over.
Their expertise ranges from care for regular daily-wear garments to high-end designer wears. They possess years of experience with a stringent commitment to quality and service.
They currently have a round-the-clock business-critical application, being accessed all over the country, executing on On-premise platform comprising of Windows App Server and SQL Database server.
Being a popular laundry service provider, there were some key challenges that needed attention:
- Slow performance of a current application, especially during peak business hours
- Impact on business performance owing to slow speed
- Higher disk I/O consumption on the database server
- High CPU usage and scarcity of memory on the application server
- Scalability, with sales, upsurging about 2000% every year
- Capacity issues with the organization
They wanted a software solution that could help them to handle the above challenges – either invest in bigger boxes or in increased RAM or move onto the Cloud.
Diagnosing the challenges of the client, SPEC INDIA helped the customer by suggesting them to use Amazon EC2 Service for Application Server & Amazon RDS Service for hosting SQL Database Server. The company decided to use Amazon Web Services (AWS) for a trial run.
SPEC INDIA came up with a solution with a successful engagement of AWS Solutions Architect services. The solution exhibited the following benefits of using the newer set of tools and technologies:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Complete migration of infrastructure to AWS
- Pay for what you consume. Instead of having to invest heavily by increasing On-Premises server architecture before knowing how you’re going to use them; customer can pay only when they consume computing resources
- Auto-scaling feature for applications during peak hours only
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
- Security, Flexibility & Elasticity – a scalable computing service with complete control, ease of access and fast execution
- Multiple availability zones (Multi-AZ) ensuring reliable, timely service, no matter how much traffic is hitting the sites
- Staging and production environments for websites and fulfillment of applications like back-office order management, order tracking, shipping etc.
- Amazon RDS
- Simplified setup and focus on application – Easy operations and scaling of a relational database on AWS
- Process requests and orders quickly and reliably even when handling thousands of requests in a second during peak periods
- Amazon Elastic Load Balancing (Amazon ELB)
- Distribution of traffic across a group of Amazon EC2 instances in one or more availability zones, enabling them to achieve high availability in their applications
- Amazon Simple Notification Service (AWS SNS) for all email services
- AWS Identity and Access Management (AWS IAM)
- Multi-factor authentication for utmost data security
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) for storage of files
- Amazon CloudWatch for active cloud monitoring of high-end transactions and database
Tools & Technologies
- Access of information from anywhere, anytime
- Increased flexibility, mobility, data insight, collaboration, quality control
- A competitive edge over the rest
- Round the clock smooth operations and handling
- Increased security and performance of business-critical applications
- Saving big time on costs, efforts and infrastructure
- Pay as you go feature, saving about 30% a year on hosting charges
- Paying for additional server only when needed, saving on extra costs