About the Customer
The client is a leading law school in the USA with nearly 100 faculty and 3000 students. The competitive school based in USA is well known for earning law degrees and clearing most competitive California Bar exams. With a goal of academic integration of law, human rights and defense of the Christian faith, this school has been committed to high standards of research, scholarship, thinking and living as a means of preparing students to engage the world and to respond honestly and earnestly to those in a pluralistic society.
The client already had an existing database designed but there was no database dictionary or reference document available. Initially the client was using MS-Access database, hence, taking into consideration object relationships and avoiding redundancies, it was a big task to smoothly migrate to MS-SQL. The challenge was to understand and enhance database design and generate data according to reporting and analytical needs.
SPEC INDIA designed a robust database design and developed a Business Intelligence Reporting Solution for the customer which helped them in doing effective Data Analytics. The solution covers following features:
- Consolidated Faculty Performance Analysis
- Visualization of current and historical performance of faculty for a particular Course of category.
- Statistics for achievement of exam in percentage comparing to goal limit for category of courses in tabular format
- Chart showing semester wise comparison of trend analysis for category of subject topics.
- Comparison of performance of supplemental exams in each semester for set of courses.
- Forecasting California Bar Exam passer Rate based on historical data with estimated goal
- Five year’s comparison statistics considering graduates, first timer and repeaters in specific exam attempt.
- Identify/Forecast no. of students mandatory to pass to achieve school’s estimated goal.
- Forecasting Repeat takers in exam.
- School Course Catalog Requirement with student enrollment details
- Shows student course requirement mandatory/non-mandatory pattern with units based on student’s admit semester
- Visualize student count who had enrolled for course/pattern and pending to complete.
- Shows academic support requirement (Advisement Meetings, Workshop)
- School Performance Analysis for California Bar Exam with other schools
- Visualization of first timer pass rates in exam comparison with other schools in different formats (percentage and decimals).
- Chart showing overall first timer pass rate of law school between semester range
- Technical Implementation
- Re-structure database design
- Migration of data from MS-Access and other 3rd party software into MS-SQL
- Customize jasper chart solution to have data point information
- Complex Sub-Reporting (30 pages comparison report)
- Report output in multiple sheets while Export to excel
Tools and Technologies
SPEC INDIA’s successful implementation of BI Reporting Solution helped the law school in its key decisions and make admin functions more efficient. It benefitted them in the following ways:
- Strong analytical data representation in a clear way from the large set of historical data.
- Aids in decision making of course or syllabus pattern for school based on student’s enrollment.
- Rich Data Visualization to help in identifying performing and non-performing students/faculties.
- Predicting/Forecasting students – first/repeat passer rate for competitive exams