About The Customer
The client is the largest wireless telecommunications provider in the USA and one of the leading American multinational conglomerates offering a variety of mobile services, TV and phone services, and wireless services through various devices. This client is leading US wireless market with 110+ million customers with revenue of $120 billion and more.
With the most reliable services, the organization is serving every type of customer with wide-ranging plans and deals across the USA.
US Telecom industry is poised with the extreme competition with newer players disrupting the market. With fierce competition and increased marketing pressure to launch promotional offers to counter the competition, the client needed agility and automation in IT systems with reduction in operation cost.
Following were specific IT challenges:
- Long Release Cycle (waterfall model) restricting ability to respond to competitive promotional offers.
- Maintaining Technical Debt to a reasonable level and ensuring business agility does not bring down quality.
- Support for multiple test environments with minimal downtime.
- Publishing Product data changes in multiple downstream systems.
- Low-Security Posture: Application Security Scan was a manual process and no governance to force scan before release. Difficult to establish accountability.
SPEC INDIA created whole DevOps pipeline from the scratch. There were no existing DevOps tools and lack of efficient delivery and integration of software product.
- Leveraged GIT Feature branching model along with scrum and Kanban practices.
- Implemented NUnit (unit testing) and selenium/soap UI (integration testing) for test automation along with TDD approach.
- Implemented custom quality rules/profile and Quality Gate in SonarQube to pass build process only if threshold quality criteria is met.
- Implemented continuous integration using Jenkins with automated environment provisioning and application deployment every time a developer commits code.
- Orchestration of various DevOps practices (build automation, continuous integration, QA automation, release/deployment automation) leveraging multiple tools for various technologies.
- Implemented an automated security scan and integrated with the deployment process using gating logic before the code is promoted to production.
- Implemented near zero downtime deployment with load balancer level code-switch providing flexibility to use the pipeline for rollback or DR strategy
- Implemented Octopus for Deployment automation including separation of configuration from code, implementing best practices from the 12-factor methodology.
SPEC INDIA’s Implemented Pipeline
- Enhanced agility and reduced time to market by reducing release cycle from 12 weeks to 1 week (and sometimes daily!).
- Sonar scan as part of the build process reduced technical debt and improved quality.
- Reduced test environment setup time from 3 weeks to 1 day
- Reduced production release certification time from 1 day to <2 hrs.
- Automated data deployment process to reduce the time from 6 hrs to <30 minutes.
- Leveraged DevOps to streamline testing cycles and automate environment provisioning with one click deployment.
- Improved security posture with security scan automation.