About the Customer
Industry: Shipping & Logistics
The USA-based client is a one-stop provider of worldwide shipping and transportation solutions. The company expanded its business with more than 70 offices in 30 countries across 5 continents and possesses team strength of more than 2,200 people across the globe. They globally operate in the areas like Air Freight, LCL, and FCL Ocean Freight Services.
Headquartered in the USA, the client is one of the world’s leading shipping and logistics solution providers. Their major focus is to ensure the efficient operations in shipping services along with forming exclusive networks of organizations.
Major Challenges Faced With Traditional Approach
- From initial development to the final release, there were delays. The quarterly-long release cycles caused loss of customers and delayed revenue.
- They were dependent on manual efforts to manage the business processes which requires more time and cost.
- There was no track of what is deployed and when it is deployed to the production.
- No support for code coverage and automated code review lead to long technical depth and critical connection leakage issues on production.
- The organization was facing manual and complicated deployment process which caused delays and affect overall growth.
- There was a lack of communication between development, operation, and quality assurance team that delayed the production cycle and the entire production was messed up.
- There was no support for “Continuous Feedback and Monitoring” resulted in long outages in production without any clue of the root cause.
- Due to the traditional approach to software development, there was a higher ratio of rework and lower quality releases
- On every new release in production, the client observed a decline in business and revenues.
Existing Delivery Pipeline
SPEC INDIA’s proficient team used enterprise DevOps approach to overcome the existing challenges and speed up product development cycle by automating the manual processes.
Comprehensively analyzed and understood each aspect of the business with an aim to overcome existing challenges.
- Taken training on Agile Development with DevOps – Change the Mindset
- To get rid of long waterfall cycles, implemented agile development processes within the IT department to speed up product development
- By taking DevOps as a software development methodology, migrated planning tool from Bugzilla to Atlassian Jira
- Heavy focus on Automated Testing – implemented this as a parallel project for risk mitigation from the start
- To generate the best outcome, the team started implementing Sprint wise development
- Migrated source code version tool from CVS to GIT using BitBucket and started to build a delivery pipeline using Atlassian Bamboo
- Migrated from Data center hosting to AWS Containerized hosting to simplify the process of hosting
- Made Infrastructure Setup as A Code
- Started Initial Production Monitoring with Cloud Watch
- Full-fledge Production Monitoring started with the usage of Slunk and Data Dog
- Implemented full governance and audit mechanism of processes followed
- Documented all the processed implemented & trained the existing IT department to handle all DevOps operation and taking the journey further
SPEC INDIA’s New Pipeline Implemented
With the right mindset and appropriate skill set, the DevOps approach for logistic ERP solution turned out to be an excellent solution to the current problems with enhanced performance.
- Faster delivery of product
- Resulted in a higher degree of satisfaction in the IT department as well as in business
- IT department got agile with each possible change required by business
- Easy rollback mechanism in case something went wrong in Production
- Reduced production outages
- Happy, productive, and efficient teams
- Improvement in the competency of IT department employees