About the Customer
Industry: Retail & FMCG, Manufacturing, Shipping & Logistics
The Myanmar based client is associated with multi-subsidiaries that manufacture and sell their products through their own distribution centers to reach mass consumers of the Republic of Union of Myanmar.
They are offering the most reliable and consistent service; most of their products are leveraging and making high profits across Myanmar.
They have 24*7 business-critical applications running on SQL server platform and their application running on SQL server database is getting accessed across the country.
Some of the challenges they faced are: –
- Poor SQL server performance
- The application was running very slow during peak hours due to which their business was getting impacted.
- Disk I/O consumption was extremely high on the database server.
- Costly running queries are consuming more time than expected
- There was fragmentation of indexes in the major tables leading to slow data retrieval.
- There were no automated Full & Transaction log backups due to which Transaction log file was getting full at times leading to the unnecessary outage
- They also could not afford downtime and they were in search of a solution to optimize the performance of the database/application and carry out the necessary on-going maintenance
- The need of 24 x 7, proactive maintenance & DBA monitoring of SQL databases
Studying the requirements and challenges of clients, the team of SPEC INDIA carried out routine Database Administration with a focus on uptime & compliance.
- Tracked & optimized costly running queries for faster retrieval of data.
- Performed extensive fragmentation check on the databases & tracked the fragmented indexes
- Rebuilt the fragmented indexes & optimized the performance of the application
- Initiated the process of performing a weekly SQL health check of SQL database to find any loopholes/issues
- To avoid the downtime scenario, we scheduled the job for Rebuilding fragmented indexes during night hours having less traffic every week
- Scheduled an alert to notify DBA if transaction log grows more than 20GB.
- Configured Maintenance Plan for automatic scheduling of database backups to have a point-in-time recovery of the databases whenever required
- Performance Monitoring and Tuning using inbuilt tools
- Isolated performance problems and identified bottlenecks along with troubleshooting of day to day SQL Server issues
- Automated & scheduled SQL Server Agent Jobs for DBA tasks
- Ensured platform uptime & response times within proposed SLA
Tools and Technologies
SPEC India’s successful engagement of DBA services benefited clients in the following ways:
- Active DBA monitoring of highly transactional database.
- 24*7 smooth operations of the whole ERP system.
- Performance of their business-critical application has been increased immensely
- Automation of the scheduled backups has overcome the problem of point-in-time recovery of the databases
- No more worries related to downtime of the business-critical application
- Weekly & monthly reporting of the databases has provided statistics on the status of client databases including figures like the growth of data over that period
- Bottlenecks & showstoppers are stopped in advance prior to their occurrence