Android needs no introduction. It is one of the most widely used mobile operating systems these days. Android is a group of software, comprising operating system, the middleware and the key applications. Android is a powerful Operating System supporting a large number of applications in Smart Phones. These applications make life more comfortable and advanced for the users.
It is then imperative that the applications and solutions supported by this operating system be tested in a foolproof manner. Selendroid is Selenium for Android.
Selendroid is a test Automation Framework for Android native and hybrid applications and of course the Android based mobile web. With the help of Selendroid Native applications can be tested easily. Selendroid can be used on emulators and real devices and can be integrated with the Selenium Grid for parallel testing. The most important feature of Selendroid is that it is Open Source.
Selendroid provides a facility for identifying elements using a tool called Selendroid Inspector. It is like a web application embedded in the Selendroid Server. It enables inspection of the current state of the app UI. It has a simple build in test case recorder that tries to identify the element that is clicked on the screen and saves the locator and click command into the Java tab.
Challenges for Selendroid Test Automation
- Selendroid supports Native applications as well as hybrid apps. Conducting automated testing then would be quite challenging while managing both the approaches.
- If the identity captured by the Inspector is the same for one or more elements then it is difficult to automate those elements.
- Android supports numerous devices with innumerable combinations of screen sizes, resolutions, processor speed and memory. The testing itself is a big challenge with such a large array of devices to map.
- When Selendroid starts emulators, for the particular test session the locale can be changed. If already started emulators are used, the locale cannot be changed, as that would cause an emulator restart. On hardware devices the locale cannot be changed programmatically.
- For mobile browsers there are multiple challenges posed by Selendroid again
- Choosing the right Selenium library
- Testing for emulators or devices
- Handling unsupported device specific features
One has to be sure that the benefits outweigh the challenges posed by this testing environment.
SPEC INDIA offers independent QA and testing services spanning the entire software release lifecycle. As a ISO 9001:2015 company we ensure process driven approach in all our quality assurance practices and testing. Quality is at the helm of every project that we associate with and is assured in policies for every aspect of the project, be it project plan, scope, cost, integration, communication, human resource management or stakeholder management.
To increase the reliability of software quality checks, we harness the potentials of Automated Testing tools like Selendroid, iOS Driver, Selenium, Quick Test Pro and Load Runner; delivering the industry best for quality with near zero post delivery defects.
Get more information regarding : Selendroid – Selenium for Android